Welcome to my study abroad blog! I hope to be as entertaining as possible as you join me on my adventures in Europe by sharing video content, photos, and a bit of personal commentary here & there along the way. My contact information is shown if you wish to contact me. If you would like my school address, please e-mail me for it; I promise to write back!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Clubs & Pubs: Late Night Dublin

It's no mystery, the Irish love to drink. In Dublin itself, there are just over 1,000 pubs. Don't believe me? You can check them all out yourself by clicking here.

One of the societies that students run for University College Dublin arranged a late night for study abroad & erasmus students (new to the term? 'erasmus' is just a fancy word for a European exchange student).

They took us to a place called Dicey's - a late night club that prides itself on its pub-esque feel.

It's really interesting, because a lot of these "clubs" are situated on otherwise very quiet-looking streets. This street (that is filled with clubs in their main and basement levels) just looks like a normal street filled with old apartment buildings.

Inside Dicey's
University of Illinois students - Chad, Bridget, Brian, Elissa, & I

Questionable picture of us mocking the sorority "shoulder pose & head tilt". Diana (third from left) seems to have succeeded.

My only possible explanation for this picture is that this drink must belong to a erasmus student... Europeans can be strange.

3:00 am McDonald's. Incase you were wondering, ... it does not taste the same. I blame the Europeans for being so healthy; all the fatty goodness that us Americans know and love in their McDonald's seems to have been 'revised'.

Fun fact: they call fries "chips" here, and chips are called "crisps".
Making "I'll have a cheeseburger and chips, please!" two different orders in Ireland and America.



Down the street from Dicey's is a club called Coppers - which is apparently known for its young crowd & super sloppy drunks (according to my roommate, it stays open the latest out of all the popular clubs in Dublin, so you can probably see how that reputation happened -- I believe it stays open until around 4 am?)

Anyways, here is a hilarious YouTube video that she showed me about Coppers.
(I realize that some of my audience consists of people under the age of 10. Just a warning - probably not something I would advise them to watch!)


PS - "shifting" & "scoring" means "kissing" in Ireland
(I absolutely love the end of that video, so hilarious.)

PS, promise to have an eventful update tomorrow - we're going to Saint Michan's Church (apparently there are mummies?!), The Guinness Storehouse, out to dinner, and enjoying some traditional Irish music & dance.

Also, I still promise to update soon with pictures of my campus as well as some hilarious Irish slang!



Until then! Thanks for following :)


1 comment:

  1. We have luxury lounge & Bar for youngster in Bikaner. You can enjoy with your friends at late night club in Bikaner. You will like it.

    ReplyDelete