Welcome to my study abroad blog! I hope to be as entertaining as possible as you join me on my adventures in Europe by sharing video content, photos, and a bit of personal commentary here & there along the way. My contact information is shown if you wish to contact me. If you would like my school address, please e-mail me for it; I promise to write back!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Break Trip: Brussels


Brussels, Belgium: land of chocolate, waffles, and beer. What more could you ask for?
Well, other than for more people to be fluent in English.





We also took a ~20 minute train to visit Sarah Trevor in Leuven, Belgium (land of the Stella) - but that requires an entirely separate post...

Interesting things about Brussels:
- Brussels is famed as "the capital of Europe" because it is home to European Politics (the EU)
- Brussels has two official languages: Dutch and French. English was on advertisements and we could hear it all the time in music played there, but it was hard to communicate with a lot of people (compared to Amsterdam, where nearly everybody spoke English). There are 3 official languages in Belgium, and the third would be German. Most people that knew English there knew it as their fourth language.
- Brussels is also famous for being the home to this guy, the "Manneken Pis", otherwise known as "little peeing boy". Pretty sure it's very easy to go past this a million times without ever noticing it is there.



Also, nobody could explain to us why there was a sauce called "Americaans" or exactly what the sauce was... But I will tell you... it was delicious.

Americaans sauce is #winning.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Boy! What a great shot of Manneken Pis!

    I sing the following song when I go:

    "Hey there Mr. Weiner, what do ya know? Do ya have to tinkle tinkle? Yes I do think so!"

    ReplyDelete